Nutella mousse, a deliciously simple dessert made with only four ingredients. It’s fast, making it an ideal last minute dessert or one the kids can make themselves.
Nutella mousse is a super simple dessert, one that everyone can pull together, regardless of their capability in the kitchen. The mousse itself contains only two ingredients, whip up some cream and fold through nutella and there you have it. A great dessert when you are poor on time but want a dessert that even the kids will enjoy. We’ve topped ours with some hazelnut praline for an added crunch.
A great recipe for cooking with the kids:
My children love Nutella in all its shape and forms. In a hot chocolate, spread on toast, or in some cases eaten straight off the spoon. This is a recipe both our children love. Nutella mousse is a great recipe for kids to pull together on their own. It allows them to practice a couple of simple techniques, like whipping the cream and folding through the nutella. These are the type of recipes that are ideal for allowing children to become more confident in the kitchen. A recipe that kids will love to both eat and create without adult supervision.
Can I make this Nutella mousse recipe ahead of time?
This mousse keeps really well. Prepare up to 2 days ahead of time and store it, covered in the fridge. Take out of the fridge when you are ready to serve. We would not recommend freezing the mousse as you will loose the lightness and some of the lift.
Do I have to make the hazelnut praline?
We have added the hazelnut praline to add a nice crunch to this dessert. However, if you don’t want to make the praline simply leave it out and enjoy the mousse as it is.
Can I use double cream in this recipe?
We have used whipping cream in this recipe as it is a lighter, airier cream and not so prone to over-whipping. Double cream is richer in fat and therefore easier to whip too much, turning it quickly to butter. However, double cream can be used in place of whipping cream if that’s what you have in your fridge.
Suitable for egg diets:
Many mousse recipes contain egg, this recipe does not which makes it ideal for anyone with an egg allergy.
Pin the recipe:
Additional recipe suggestions:
- 250 g nutella
- 300 ml whipping cream
Praline Garnish (Optional)
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 100 g caster sugar
- Ensure the Nutella is at room temperature. (If not, gently warm in the microwave for up to a minute. Allow to rest and cool completely before using.)
- Whisk the whipping cream either with a hand whisk or electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
- Add the Nutella to the whipped cream and gently fold in until fully incorporated.
- Portion into 4 serving glasses and chill until needed. (Ideally for an hour but equally as good straight away!) Garnish with the praline crumb (below) if using. Or you can top with grated chocolate or anything of your choice.
- Heat the caster sugar in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Allow it to melt and form a deep golden caramel. Don’t stir until all the sugar has dissolved. To help the sugar dissolve evenly, gently shake the pan occasionally.
- Add the hazelnuts and stir to coat in the caramel. Pour onto a non-stick baking tray. Allow the praline to cool completely then whizz in a food processor to make the praline crumb. (You can store the praline for 2 days in an airtight container but keep it completely dry or it will go sticky.)
Linking up this recipe to #CookBlogShare, have a read for more great recipes.