Chocolate & hazelnut cookies, a really great quick bake with kids.
Chocolate and hazelnut cookies, who doesn’t love them? Certainly not me, they are one of my favourite biscuits. However I do prefer to make my own as I find shop bought just a bit too hard and really not what I want from a cookie. Also they rarely contain enough hazelnuts for me.
Now I’m not going to suggest for a minute that I don’t buy shop bought biscuits, I’m a busy Mum, of course I do! It’s just that there are certain things that I prefer to make myself and cookies are one such thing. On the other hand you’d never find me baking Digestive biscuits, they are perfect straight from the packet!
Is this recipe suitable for baking with kids?
This recipe is quick and simple which makes it an ideal bake with children. My kids are in the kitchen with me all the time, they enjoy getting stuck in. However regardless of their enthusiasm, it can be short lived at times. Which is why I like to have a selection of recipes that they can prepare without any involvement from me. Cookies are forgiving, there’s no uniform shape, they are not meant to be dainty.
Can I adapt the flavour in this cookie?
This recipe is simple, a basic cookie dough to which we’ve added flavours of chocolate, hazelnut and vanilla. However as with all basic recipes the flavours can be adapted to suit your taste. For example next up I fancy trying chocolate orange & cranberry cookies. Leaving out the vanilla and nuts, replacing them with orange extract, orange zest and of course dried cranberries. I’ll also swap the milk chocolate chips for dark chocolate. That’s what I like about a basic recipe, you can play around with it.
Pin the recipe for later:
Alternative recipe suggestions:
If you like this recipe then why not try our Lemon Butter Biscuits, our Custard Creams, our Ginger & Chilli Biscuits or our Spiced Christmas Cookies, great simple bakes any time of the year. These cookies are also delicious served with our Mulled Apple Juice. If you enjoyed this bake have a look at our Ultimate Guide to Baking with Kids, full of great recipe suggestions for baking with children.
chocolate & hazelnut cookies
- 80 g granulated sugar
- 80 g light brown muscovado sugar
- 150 g unsalted butter - softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 225 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 140 g milk chocolate chips
- 140 g hazelnuts
- Place the butter and both sugars into a bowl and beat well until you get a creamy mixture.
- Meanwhile place the hazelnuts in a sealed plastic bag and bash up gently with a rolling pin to create small chunks of nut.
- Once you have beaten the butter and sugars together, beat in the vanilla extract and the egg, mixing well to combine.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt to the bowl and continue to mix well until you have a rough dough.
- Add the milk chocolate chips and hazelnuts to the dough and mix until you have a well combined dough.
- Pull together small golf ball sized balls of the cookie dough and place these on a tray lined with baking parchment. Space the cookies well apart as they will spread in the oven. However do not flatten out the balls of dough.
- Once you have shaped all the cookies, you should get 25-30 cookies from this mix, place the trays in an oven at 170CFan. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, they should be a little soft in the middle.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, place them on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool. Once cool store in an airtight container.