Lemon butter biscuits, delicious melt in the mouth biscuits fragrant with lemon. A simple bake making them a perfect afternoon tea treat.
Lemon butter biscuits are one of my favourite quick and simple bakes. The fruit bowl in my home is never without this bright yellow citrus, be it for sweet or savoury cooking. Last week we made a simple lemon posset dessert, both sweet and tart. As a result, we needed something to pair with it and decided upon a simple butter biscuit. This perfectly light, crisp biscuit with a good hit of lemon zest was ideal.
Can I prepare these in advance?
These biscuits are great to make up in advance, prepare the dough, leave it in the fridge overnight and bake next day. They are also great baked from frozen. Simply make the dough, roll it and slice into 1cm biscuits. Then place in single layers, separating each layer with baking parchment. Place in the freezer ready to bake when the mood takes you or you need a sweet treat. Just ensure you increase the baking time by 2-4 minutes when baking from frozen.
Are there different flavour combinations I can try?
There is no complexity to this biscuit, using the butter biscuit as a base, you can swap the flavours as you see fit. The lemon can be substituted for either orange or lime zest. Replace the zest entirely with chocolate chips or a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Whilst we like the biscuits baked simply you could also dip them in melted chocolate or sandwich two together with butter cream, get creative!
Alternative recipe suggestions:
Lemon Butter Biscuits
- 100 g caster sugar
- 130 g unsalted butter - at room temperature
- 3 zest of lemons - finely grated
- pinch of salt
- 1 large free-range egg
- 200 g plain flour
- Place the sugar, butter, lemon zest and salt in a large mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add in a beaten egg and stir well to combine, before adding the flour and mixing to a stiff dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of baking paper, wrap completely and roll into a biscuit sized oblong shape, approximately 3cm in diameter. Place the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or over night if preparing in advance.
- When ready to bake, remove the dough from the fridge, remove the paper and cut into 1cm slices. Place the biscuits onto a lined baking tray.
- Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes at 180CFan. Once baked place on a wire rack to cool.