Courgette and pepper soup is a great homemade soup to have on the table within 30 minutes and feeds a hungry crowd anytime.
Courgettes are a really easy vegetable to grow in pots in our back gardens. However many people disregard courgettes as tasteless, I disagree. I grow these every year in my small vegetable patch. I love pretty much all vegetables and I like to use courgettes to bulk up vegetarian and vegan meals. They are delicious when roasted with other vegetables or when added to soup. Put simply courgettes are versatile.
This recipe is the one I pull together when I have unexpected or last minute guests to feed. This simple courgette and sweet pepper soup can be prepared and on the table in no time at all. Funnily enough it’s also a soup that’s great for feeding to kids as it’s a great way to get vegetables into their diets.
This soup reminds me of my niece Reni, who was a very fussy eater as a child. On one particular visit to my house I had made this soup for lunch. My sister and I were upstairs sorting through some stuff. When I mentioned what we were having for lunch my sister was quite certain that there was no way Reni was going to eat a bowl of this soup. When we went downstairs my husband had served lunch and there was Reni sat at the table eating soup! We suspect she didn’t want to question her Uncle quite as much as she would have me had I been serving. Regardless Reni polished off 2 bowls of this soup and she still makes it herself today.
For another great recipe for using up a glut of courgettes try this Quick Courgette & Shallot Pickle.
If you like this soup then why not try our Spicy Bean & Vegetable Soup. Another great soup and suitable for those following a Vegetarian or Vegan diet.
courgette and pepper soup
- 50 g butter
- 1 large onion - diced
- 2 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 3 courgettes - roughly chopped
- 5 sweet peppers - de-seeded and roughly chopped
- vegetable stock
- 150 ml single cream
- salt & pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the onion and a large pinch of salt (the salt stops the onions from browning) and saute gently for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, courgette and peppers and continute to saute for a further minute.
- Add vegetable stock to the pan so that it comes to a level approximately 1cm below the level of the vegetables. [Courgettes and peppers are full of water and vary greatly in size, by doing it this way rather than stipulating a quantity of stock, you will avoid having a watery soup. You can always add more stock later if you need it, but you can't take it away!]
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stir through the cream and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Blitz the soup using a stick blender and serve.