Spicy bean & vegetable soup is quick to prepare, a tasty soup that is packed full of vegetables.
Spicy bean and vegetable soup is a hearty and warming bowl of soup, perfect for this time of year. Packed full of beans and a lovely variety of vegetables it’s the perfect Winter warmer recipe. However there is also a nice hit of spice to the soup, making it pack a little extra punch.
Bean and vegetable soup is a regular on my lunch menu. As well as being quick to prepare and cook, this soup is ideal for anyone following a vegetarian or vegan diet. Or indeed someone who want’s a hearty but healthy soup. Tinned beans are something I always have to hand in my cupboards and they make a great addition. I like to cook this soup on meat-free days when I want to lighten the load.
Some alternative suggestions:
We have used borlotti beans in this soup, but use what you have to hand. Butter beans, kidney beans and black beans all work well in this soup. Indeed mix it up and put in 2 different varieties.
If you don’t like too much chilli, then simply pare it back in the dish. Likewise if there are vegetables that you don’t like to eat, leave them out. Either substitute them with another vegetable or bulk up on the rest of the suggested vegetables.
If you like this simple soup then why not try our Courgette & Pepper Soup which is also quick to prepare and packed full of vegetables. For other great Vegetarian based soups try our Jerusalem Artichoke Soup or our Creamy Parsnip Soup.
spicy bean & vegetable soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 sweet peppers (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 courgettes (core removed and diced)
- 2 x 400g tins barlotti beans (drained)
- 1.5 ltr vegetable stock
- 3 dried chipotle chillis
- 4-5 medium vine tomatoes (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- lime wedges (optional for serving)
- few sprigs coriander leaf (optional for serving)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and a large pinch of salt (this will stop the vegetables browning) and saute for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to saute for a further minute.
- Add the peppers and courgette and continue to saute the vegetables for a further 2 minutes, stiring continuously.
- Add the borlotti beans, dried chipotle chillis and vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. [If making this soup in advance, take it to this stage and stop there.]
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, along with the seasoning, and cook for a further minute. Serve with crusty bread.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only •