Bean and vegetable soup that is packed full of vegetables, a mix of beans and a kick of spice. Ideal for anyone following a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Spicy bean and vegetable soup is a hearty and warming bowl of soup, perfect for this time of year. Packed full of beans and a lovely variety of vegetables it’s the perfect Winter warmer recipe. However there is also a nice hit of spice to the soup, making it pack a little extra punch.
Bean and vegetable soup is a regular on my lunch menu. As well as being quick to prepare and cook, this soup is ideal for anyone following a vegetarian or vegan diet. Or indeed someone who want’s a hearty but healthy soup.
I like to add a squeeze of lime to this soup, as well as adding a lovely freshness to the soup, the sour lime to balance the sweetness of the vegetables and the spice from the chipotle chillies. However, if serving to a larger group, I don’t add the lime to the soup. Instead I cut up some wedges of lime and place them in a bowl on the table. That way everyone can add lime to their own taste, or indeed leave it out altogether if they would prefer.
A hearty meal on it’s own I like this soup served simply with some fresh bread on the side for those that want it.
Tinned beans – a store cupboard staple!
Tinned beans are something I always have to hand in my store cupboards and they make a great addition to any meal. Aside from being a great source of protein, beans are great at absorbing flavours. I love added mixed beans to soups and stews.
I like to cook this soup on meat-free days when I want to lighten the load. I enjoying eating vegetable based meals and like to have days every week where my diet contains no meat. Hearty soups and stews like this one really make the best of fresh vegetables and the addition of the mixed beans turns this soup into a filling main meal.
We have used borlotti beans in this soup, but use what you have to hand. Butter beans, kidney beans and black beans all work well in this soup. Indeed mix it up and put in 2 different varieties.
If you don’t like too much chilli, then simply pare it back in the dish. However, the chipotle chillies do add a lovely smokiness to the soup. Therefore, if you are taking them out altogether then I recommend adding some smoked paprika to the vegetables when you are cooking them to add the smokiness back in.
As is the case with most vegetable based soups, like this spicy bean and vegetable soup, you can add in extra vegetables or leave out anything you don’t like. If you want to bulk up vegetables then simply add what you like eating to the soup. For example, sweet potato, butternut squash, parsnip, or a handful of kale or spinach, would all work well in this simple bean soup.
Pin the recipe:
Additional recipe suggestions:
If you like this simple soup then why not try some of our other soups:
spicy bean & vegetable soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 sweet peppers (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 courgettes (core removed and diced)
- 2 x 400g tins barlotti beans (drained)
- 1.5 ltr vegetable stock
- 3 dried chipotle chillis
- 4-5 medium vine tomatoes (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- lime wedges (optional for serving)
- few sprigs coriander leaf (optional for serving)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and a large pinch of salt (this will stop the vegetables browning) and saute for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to saute for a further minute.
- Add the peppers and courgette and continue to saute the vegetables for a further 2 minutes, stiring continuously.
- Add the borlotti beans, dried chipotle chillis and vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. [If making this soup in advance, take it to this stage and stop there.]
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, along with the seasoning, and cook for a further minute. Serve with crusty bread.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •