Pumpkin gnocchi with sage is a vegetarian dish and a great mid week dinner. A warming bowl of comfort food that hits the spot on a cold Autumn day.
Pumpkin gnocchi with sage is a quick mid week dinner that all the family can enjoy. As its Halloween tomorrow we thought we’d treat you to a Halloween inspired pumpkin dish. This pumpkin gnocchi is super quick to prepare and serve up. As any parent will tell you this is essential when you’ve hungry mouths to feed. Especially true at Halloween when they are eager to finish dinner and head outdoors trick or treating. The sauce takes little time to prepare and gnocchi is super quick to cook, pop it into a pan of boiling water and it’s ready in no time!
At this time of year its too easy to view pumpkin as something to carve rather than eat. Which is a pity as pumpkin is a delicious vegetable and one my kids are always happy to eat. The sage works beautifully with the pumpkin, a really great pairing. So for a quick mid-week dinner, why not give it a go?
Points worth noting:
We have used some of the many wonderful pumpkins available on our shelves at the moment. However, if you can’t find these a butternut squash will work just as well. Any pumpkin or squash works well in this pumpkin gnocchi dish.
What substitutions can I make?
If you don’t like gnocchi, then simply substitute the gnocchi for some freshly cooked pasta instead. Not everyone likes the taste of sage, however, if that’s the case leave it out or add some fresh thyme leaves instead. Just ensure if using thyme you only use the leaves and remove any woody stem.
Pin the recipe for later:
Alternative recipe suggestions:
Looking for inspiration for feeding the family mid week, then take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Family Dinners. Full of useful hints, tips and recipes.
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut or onion squash - peeled and diced
- 1 leek - white part only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 50 g butter
- 1 tbsp sage leaves - finely shredded
- 200 ml white wine
- 200 ml single cream
- 500 g gnocchi - cooked as per packet instructions
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and pumpkin and saute gently until the pumpkin is soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- Add the shredded sage leaves and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the wine and saute quickly to reduce the liquid to half the consistency. Stir through the cream, cooked gnocchi, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This recipe has been shared to CookBlogShare, click on the link for recipes by fellow food bloggers.