Simple tomato soup, deliciously creamy and a great Vegan soup as the creaminess comes from the addition of potato, rather than by adding dairy. A soup reminiscent of a certain red tin!
Our easy tomato soup is simple to make and we used the Froothie Evolve to see if we could mimic Heinz tomato soup. The high speed blender results in a super smooth soup. To ensure the recipe is suitable for vegans, potato was used for texture and creaminess, in place of any dairy.
Tomato soup is comfort food, and the only tin of soup that our families will eat. When we are ill we all look to soup to make us feel better. The benefit of this soup is that it does not have a lengthy cooking time. Even if feeling a little under the weather, you can cook this soup and have something warming and nutritious to eat.
Can I adapt the recipe?
This simple tomato soup is easy to adapt. To bulk it out a little add some red lentils or any other vegetables during the cook. Peppers and courgettes would both work with this soup. You can also add some herbs, like basil, parsley or tarragon, which all compliment the tomato flavour.
Can I freeze tomato soup?
This soup is easy to double up for batch cooking. Eat some now and save some for another day. Once cooked, allow the soup to cool completely and place in a suitable container with a tight-fitting lid before placing in the freezer.
Do I need to use the Froothie Evolve or similar high speed blender?
This recipe can be made both using a blender, and in a saucepan on the stove. We used the Froothie Evolve high speed blender for this recipe as we were gifted the machine to fully test and review. However, this is a recipe can be made in a saucepan and we have provided instructions for both methods in the recipe card. Therefore, no requirement to go out and buy any special equipment.
Pin the recipe:
Additional recipe suggestions:
If you like this recipe then try some of our other great Vegetarian soups:
- Tomato & Basil Soup
- Leek & Potato Soup
- Curried Chickpea & Vegetable Soup
- Spicy Tomato & Lentil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Wild Garlic Soup
- Garlic Soup.
Reader offer – Buy a Froothie Evolve:
Click on Froothie Evolve if you would like to see our review of this high speed blender.
If you buy a Froothie Evolve blender following our *Froothie UK affiliate link , you will get an extra 2 years warranty (from its current 5 to 7 years)! Simply add the following text to the comment box when placing an order:
Ambassador 6007 special 2 extra warranty years
Simple Tomato Soup
- High Speed Blender (Optional)
- 1 tin chopped or plum tomatoes
- 1 small potato (approximately 80g)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small onion
- 1 stick celery
- 2 vegetable stock pots
- 800 ml water
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 0.5 tsp dried mixed herbs (or add oregano or dried thyme)
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil ((only needed if using traditional cooking method below))
If using the Froothie Evolve
- Add all ingredients to the hot jug and insert onto the base of the Froothie.
- Attach lid and turn the Froothie on. Select the smooth soup function and hit start.
- Once completed, serve immediately.
If using a traditional stove top method
- In a small saucepan on a medium heat, add the oil and fry the roughly chopped onions, celery and carrot and potato. Saute for around 10 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and allow to simmer about 20 minutes until all vegetables are soft.
- Using a stick blender, puree soup until smooth. Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •