Ham & broccoli pasta bake with mushroom is a great mid-week dinner dish and one that can be prepared ahead of time, ready to pop into the oven.
Ham & broccoli pasta bake with mushrooms is one of those recipes that I’ve had lying around for years. You know those recipes that we’ve copied down from somewhere and adapted over the years. That dishes that are rarely made the same way twice! This pasta bake is a favourite in my family. It’s a lovely warming dish for this time of year. That’s the thing about a simple pasta bake, it’s something all the family enjoy eating. As with most baked pasta dishes, it can be made ahead of time and cooked when you’re ready to eat.
If you don’t like mushrooms, leave them out. I love mushrooms but my husband and children do not! However what is tend to do is cut the mushrooms large enough so that they can easily pick them out if necessary. I don’t like leaving the mushrooms out as the add flavour to the finished dish.
If you have no ham, substitute with chicken, or add in another vegetable. That’s what I like about a pasta bake, you can use what you have in the fridge. Aside from being a tasty and comforting dinner, ham broccoli & mushroom pasta bake can be prepared ahead of time. Simply take it out of the fridge when you get in and pop it in the oven when you need it. Pasta bakes are something my family all enjoy in the colder months of the year. A perfect dinner for cold October nights when all we want to do is hunker down indoors.
Additional recipe suggestions:
Looking for inspiration for feeding the family mid week, then take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Family Dinners. Full of useful hints, tips and recipes.
Easy Ham & Broccoli Pasta Bake
- large, deep-sided oven proof dish
- large mixing bowl
- 2 saucepans
- silicone/wooden spoon
- 300 g tagliatelle
- 150 g broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 160 g cooked ham (cubed)
- 100 g parmesan cheese (grated)
- 150 g cheddar cheese (grated)
Creamy Pasta Sauce
- 50 g butter
- 50 g plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 500 ml semi skimmed milk
- 300 ml single cream (half and half)
- 1 tsp salt (plus extra for seasoning pasta and broccoli cooking water)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place the tagliatelle in a pan of boiling salted water and cook as per packet instructions until al-dente. Remove a cup of pasta cooking water and set aside, then drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli in a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 4 minutes then drain and set aside.
Creamy Pasta Sauce
- To make the creamy pasta sauce, start by melting the butter in a non stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour and keep whisking to cook out the flour for a couple of minutes.
- Gradually add the milk in small batches, taking time to whisk to a smooth sauce at each stage. Once all the milk has been combined add the single cream and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl place the tagliatelle, broccoli, garlic, ham and the majority of the Parmesan and cheddar cheese (setting some aside to top the finished dish).
- Pour over the white sauce and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the retained pasta cooking water and stir that through the sauce, the pasta cooking water will not only season the dish but also help the sauce coat the pasta.
- Place in a large oven-proof dish and top with the remaining cheese.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 200C/180CFan/400F and bake for 40 minutes until the dish is bubbling. Serve immediately.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook