Lemon & paprika chicken kebabs a quick outdoor cook, but just as easy under the grill at home. A deliciously simple addition to any tapas platter.
Lemon and paprika chicken kebabs are one of the quickest meals I have in my repertoire. The kind of dish that I cook mid-week when I have chicken in the fridge, it needs to be used and am wondering what to do with it. Sound familiar? That’s when I remember that lemon and paprika chicken kebabs are quick to prepare and cook and require little effort to actually cook.
There is little that I enjoy doing more than eating outdoors with my family. Whether it’s a picnic, lunch on my patio or a barbecue on the beach, I’m rarely happier. As much as I love to eat outdoors, I also love to cook outdoors. Furthermore I’m not someone who needs the sunshine in order to get the barbecue going, that said it does help!
My family laugh as I do go on holiday with cookbooks, to read but also to inspire me. For me there is nothing better than cooking produce that I’ve picked up at a local market and cook for dinner that night. Yes, I know the idea of cooking on holiday is a definite NO to many people. But not to me, I am at my most relaxed and often most creative when on holiday. Just ask Michelle who’s on the receiving end of all my ideas when I return home!
I created this very simple barbecue dish for my youngest daughter who previously would not eat any barbecued food. We would be camping our outside in the garden, barbecue on and she would ask me to cook bacon! She used to be a very fussy eater, thankfully this is no longer the case.
However, she would always eat chicken and has never been afraid of spice. Therefore, I kept things simple and created these lemon and paprika chicken kebabs using a few of her favourite flavours (and mine too). Admittedly I would love more variety of vegetable on there, but they are, and remain her favourite!
These chicken kebabs are very quick to prepare which is why I like to make them when cooking outdoors on our family camping trips. I place the marinade and chicken into a ziplock bag ready for cooking wherever we decide to set up the barbecue, whether on the campsite or the nearest beach.
When cooking away from home I find the less fuss the better. For me it’s not about being particularly elabourate, more about just enjoying the fresh air and the company of the people you’re with. It’s even better if your chosen spot is within walking distance, as was the case in the photo below. That way you can pack a bottle of wine, enjoying a glass while you’re cooking!
Besides I am firmly of the opinion that there’s little better on holiday than a barbecue on the beach. Finally, it’s only natural that any barbecue is followed by toasting marshmallows. The cracking sunset was an added bonus.
Can I cook lemon & paprika chicken indoors?
These lemon and paprika chicken kebabs have been cooked outdoors on the barbecue as I like to get a little smoky char on them. However, this recipe is very easily adapted if you want to cook them indoors instead, and indeed I frequently do!
Simply line a baking tray with some kitchen paper and lay the kebabs on the tray. Place the tray under the grill for around 15 minutes, turning mid way through to ensure the kebabs cook on both sides. Check the chicken is cooked by breaking it apart a little and if it’s still looking a bit pink pop is back under the grill.
We have used chicken breast for these kebabs however skinless chicken thigh meat would work just as well.
This recipe uses sweet peppers, however, you could add other vegetables of your choosing. Courgette, aubergine and red onion would all be delicious with the peppers and chicken.
Pin the recipe:
Additional recipe suggestions:
If you like this recipe then why not try some of our other great recipes to cook both indoors and outdoor:
- Classic Loaded Hot Dogs
- Tandoori Prawns with Flatbreads
- Simple Devilled Mackerel
- Cheesy One Pan Vegetables
- Sticky Sausage Traybake
- Cajun Chicken & Vegetables
- Easy Chicken Tacos
Looking for inspiration for feeding the family mid week, then take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Family Dinners. Full of useful hints, tips and recipes.
Lemon & Paprika Chicken Kebabs
- 1 lemon (finely grated rind and juice)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (cubed in bite-sized chunks)
- 2 red peppers (cut into bite-sized chunks)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place the juice and finely grated zest of a lemon into a bowl, along with the smoked paprika, garlic, olive oil and black pepper. Stir well to combine and add the cubed chicken. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to marinade.
- Ideally marinade the chicken overnight but if short of time a couple of hours will do.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge and season with salt (do not add salt to the marinade as this will only draw all the moisture from the chicken). Thread the chicken onto a skewer, alternating with the red pepper.
- Place the skewers on a hot barbeque turning regularly to ensure the chicken does no burn. Use any excess marinade to baste the chicken from time to time. This not only adds more flavour but also keeps the chicken moist.
- Serve once the chicken is cooked through.
- Alternatively, if cooking indoors, place the kebabs onto a baking tray and place under a medium grill for approximately 15 minutes. Turn the kebabs regularly to ensure cooked through.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook