Ham, fig & blue cheese salad, a fantastic combination of flavours that work beautifully together in this salad bowl, a complete meal in one.
Ham, fig & blue cheese salad has to be one of my favourite meals at this time of year. I always find a need to lighten things up once the festive period is behind us.
Our blog has been very quiet of late, due to both Michelle and I being unwell. As a result, today is the first day this year where we’ve been able to sit down and talk food! Horrifying given this is what we love to do!
I became ill with flu on Boxing Day and it lasted well into the New Year. It would be fair to say that food was the last thing on my mind, quite simply I was not hungry.
Furthermore, this also meant that the food I’d bought to enjoy was in danger of going uneaten. Like many of us, I detest waste so whilst I froze what I could, what to do with the rest?
My body craves fruit and vegetables when I’m under the weather. Any time I’m feeling fragile, its fair to say my friends greasy offering has never appealed to me.
Instead, I would turn to bowls of fruit or vegetable laden soup. Therefore, it was with a mind to nourish my body, that I created this delicious salad.
With it being the holiday, my fridge was well stocked! Contained within: a large roast ham; a cheese board, figs, grapes and a variety of vegetables including beetroot. Perfection really in salad terms, due to these flavours all working really well together.
For salad leaves I opted for a mixed bag that contained radicchio as I wanted an element of bitterness. From the cheese board I selected the salty blue cheese, however if blue cheese isn’t your thing then substitute with another cheese. Finally, I added figs from my over flowing fruit bowl.
However, if you don’t like figs, swap it with some melon instead.
I love a good dressing as it can transform a plate of salad. I’ve deliberately kept this one simple and on the slightly sour side, there is enough sweetness in the fruit itself. The result a fresh and tasty bowl of goodness, that did make me feel better, even if only for a little while!
Ham, Fig & Blue Cheese Salad
- 150 g roast ham (sliced thinly into bite-sized pieces)
- 100 g blue cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 2 figs (quartered)
- 12 black grapes (halved)
- 2 beetroot (roasted and quartered)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cucumber (sliced)
- salad leaves
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- pinch of caster sugar
- salt & pepper
- Prepare the salad ingredients and split between 2 salad bowls. Place the salad leaves on the base of the bowl and layer all other ingredients on top.
- Place all the the ingredients for the salad dressing into a bowl and whisk well to combine. Test for seasoning, pour over the salad and serve immediately.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook