Chicken & asparagus salad, with the saltiness of bacon and served warm with Jersey Royals. A hearty salad that’s a meal on its own.
Chicken and asparagus salad is one of my all time favourite salads. In fact this particular chicken & asparagus salad is the first thing I think about cooking when the new season’s asparagus hits our shelves. I first enjoyed this salad many years ago in a restaurant that was close to where I lived at the time. A dish I truly love to eat and therefore one I needed to recreate at home.
That’s the thing, salad is a truly wonder thing, when done well! We love the freshness of a salad. While our hearts are seeking the freshness of spring/summer food, the weather is not cooperating! So with two of our favourite ingredients available on the shop shelves at the moment, Jersey Royals and new season asparagus, it was about time to post this recipe. Incorporating these flavours into a salad dish, reminding us that Summer is on the way. This warm salad is very simple and quick to prepare, but with a few good ingredients tastes amazing. We like to serve this with the simplest of French vinaigrette.
Keeping things simple, the vinaigrette is shaken together in a jam jar, I make all salad dressings this way. This quick method means leftover dressing can then easily stored in the fridge.
Pin the recipe for later:
chicken & asparagus salad
- 2 chicken breasts - diced
- 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 9 Jersey Royal potatoes - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 100 g asparagus
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 heads of little gem lettuce - washed and leaves left whole
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt & pepper
- Place the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water and cook till tender. Drain and set aside until ready to plate.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan and place the bacon in it, keep moving the bacon until you get a good colour on it, but taking care not to burn. Once crisp pull the bacon to the sides of the pan and add the sunflower oil.
- Heat the oil and add the chicken to brown. Once the chicken has sealed combine with the bacon and add the garlic, cook together gently over a medium heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Heat a char-grill pan and toss the asparagus into it. Take care to char the asparagus but not to burn it.
- Place all the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a clean jam jar and secure the lid. Share vigorously to combine and then check for seasoning.
- Once all components are ready, place the lettuce in a bowl, top with the chicken and bacon mixture, then the potatoes. Finally place over the grilled asparagus and drizzle with the vinaigrette.