Creamy potato salad, flavoured with mustard and bacon is a delicious way to serve the humble potato. A great side to serve at a Summer barbecue.
Creamy potato salad is a delicious salad side. I’ve tried many recipes over the years but this is the one I keep coming back to. It’s the recipe that I make most often as not only do I love it, the family do too. For the best salad use new season potatoes, just scrub off the flaky skin rather than pare.
The addition of bacon to this salad really makes at tasty difference to the whole dish. However if you are serving Vegetarian dinners simply leave the bacon out. I believe what makes this salad extra special is the dressing for the potatoes. The base is mayonnaise but this is loosened with single cream and flavoured with bacon and mustard. The result is a salad packed full of flavour.
I most often make this dish during the Summer months when the new potatoes are at their very best. It’s my go to potato salad when I’m feeding a crowd of family and friends at a barbecue. They must enjoy it too as there are never any leftovers!
Additional recipe suggestions:
Creamy Potato Salad
- 1 kg new potatoes (cleaned and cut into large chunks)
- 10 slices streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150 g good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 100 ml single cream
- Good handful chives (chopped)
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain then set aside and allow to cool.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon on to some kitchen roll and allow to cool before breaking up into smaller pieces. Reserve any cooking liquids left in the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard and vinegar. Add the reserved bacon cooking liquids and whisk well. Fold in the cream then add the chives, potatoes and half of the crispy bacon, stir well to combine.
- Place the potato salad in a serving dish and sprinkle on the remaining crispy bacon.
- This salad can be served either still warm or cold. If making ahead of time, cover the dish with clingfilm and place in a refrigerator.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook