Thai sweet potato and lentil soup, flavoured with Thai red curry paste and coconut milk. A warming bowl of soup, packed full of flavour!
Thai sweet potato and lentil soup is a deliciously warming lunch on a cold day. The kind of soup that is hearty, a meal on it’s own. The addition of the Thai curry paste to the soup adds a lovely kick of chilli spicing, with the coconut milk to take the edge off a little.
Sweet potato is a delicious vegetable that adds a sweetness to the soup. We like to add lentils and it’s this that makes the soup more of a meal rather than as a starter. If you were to serve this soup as a starter and you have to really lighten up the main course. We like to serve this soup with our Easy Soft Flatbreads.
Thai Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red thai curry paste
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cm root ginger (finely grated)
- 1 lime leaf (finely shredded)
- 1 sweet potato (chopped)
- 120 g red lentils
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- salt & black pepper
- In a saucepan, fry the onion gently till just softened. Add the thai red curry paste and fry quickly for 1 minute. Then add the garlic, ginger, lime leaf and continue to fry for another minute.
- Add the lentils and sweet potato and coat in the sauce for 1 minute. Then and stock and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked down.
- Puree with a hand blender and add the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt, pepper and the fish sauce.
- Serve with crusty bread or flat breads.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •