Thai sweet potato and lentil soup, flavoured with Thai red curry paste and coconut milk. A warming bowl of soup, packed full of flavour!
Thai sweet potato and lentil soup is a deliciously warming lunch on a cold day. The kind of soup that is hearty, a meal on it’s own. The addition of the Thai curry paste to the soup adds a lovely kick of chilli spicing, with the coconut milk to take the edge off a little.
Sweet potato is a delicious vegetable that adds a sweetness to the soup. We like to add lentils and it’s this that makes the soup more of a meal rather than as a starter. If you were to serve this soup as a starter and you have to really lighten up the main course. We like to serve this soup with our Easy Soft Flatbreads.
For some great hints and tips on how to make a great bowl of soup, have a read of our 20 Simple Soup Recipes post. This features some delicious soup recipes for you to try!
Thai Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red thai curry paste
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2.5 cm root ginger (finely grated)
- 1 lime leaf (finely shredded)
- 1 sweet potato (chopped)
- 120 g red lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 200 ml coconut milk
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- salt & black pepper
- In a saucepan, fry the onion gently till just softened. Add the thai red curry paste and fry quickly for 1 minute. Then add the garlic, ginger, lime leaf and continue to fry for another minute.
- Add the lentils and sweet potato and coat in the sauce for 1 minute. Then and stock and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked down.
- Puree with a hand blender and add the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt, pepper and the fish sauce.
- Serve with crusty bread or flat breads.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook