Vegan potato salad, served warm, made using the best of the new season’s potatoes. A great side dish to accompany other salad sides and some roast meat.
Warm vegan potato salad makes a welcome change to the more traditional, mayonnaise or cream based salad. Served warm with an olive oil based dressing it makes a delicious side alongside roast meat. Of course it makes the best use of new season potatoes.
There is one seasonal event in the food calendar that we look forward to with great anticipation, the arrival of new potatoes. As potatoes go, there is nothing like the earthy flavour of an early potato. We do both grow our own first early potatoes, but given our location up in the North East of Scotland these are not harvested until late June/early July and even then the success of the harvest depends hugely on the weather! That’s why we love when the Jersey Royals hit our shelves, in our opinion the king of all potatoes. We are both quite happy to boil these little gems and eat them with a little butter and a sprinkling of salt. However for those looking for a change we’ve created this warm salad.
Why do you cook the garlic with the skin on?
This salad is suitable for Vegetarian and Vegan diners alike. We cooked the garlic in its skin along with the potatoes. The garlic is then removed from its skin, mashed up in a pestle and mortar to form the base of the dressing. Cooking the garlic in this manner softens the flavour as raw garlic is too strong in this dish.
Additional recipe suggestions:
Warm Vegan Potato Salad
- 500 g new potatoes (left whole)
- 1 clove of garlic (leave skin on)
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- 1 roasted pepper (for speed use a jar of roasted peppers)
- 4-5 sunblush tomatoes
- 1 bunch bunch basil or parsley (chopped)
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pinches sugar
- salt & pepper
- Add potatoes and garlic to a pan of boiling salted water and cook until tender.
- Prepare the remaining vegetables by slicing into small bite-sized pieces.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside while the salad dressing is prepared.
- Pop the garlic clove out of its skin and into a pestle and mortar. Bash up the garlic to a smooth paste and incorporate the sherry vinegar, olive oil, sugar and seasoning.
- Place the warm potatoes and vegetables into a serving dish and pour over the salad dressing, stirring to combine. Serve immediately.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook