Chicken with ham and Parmesan, quick to prepare and cook making it an ideal mid week dinner. Simply add some steamed green vegetables.
Chicken with ham and Parmesan is one of those great mid week dinners. Quick and easy to prepare and packed full of flavour. A family favourite dinner. As I sit at my kitchen table writing this weeks post, I’m looking out at the driech January weather! The sky is grey, the sun has disappeared, its really cold and its raining – so anyone for salad? Enjoying your New Year fitness regime? I’m not mocking, I’ve been for a swim this morning and I’m done with the heavy indulgent food of Christmas. My shopping trolley last week was evidence of this, loaded with a rainbow of fruit and vegetables. However I struggle with the idea of detox and healthy eating when it’s cold outside and my body just wants comfort.
As you know we just refuse to preach diet as we are not qualified nutritionists. However this Italian inspired dish (pollo alla Bolognese) uses lean chicken with only a small amount of ham and a grating of parmesan. Parmesan is a nice strong cheese with lots of flavour so you can use a lot less. If you want to be really virtuous you can of course use olive oil in place of the butter, I’m not that good! We paired this dish with healthy serving of sprouting broccoli and calvero nero kale, lightly tossed with some of our Oven Dried Tomatoes and a good amount of black pepper. We reckon this is a perfect balance between healthy and comfort, a little bit of both!
Additional recipe suggestions:
Looking for inspiration for feeding the family mid week, then take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Family Dinners. Full of useful hints, tips and recipes.
Italian Style Chicken with Ham & Parmesan
- 2 chicken breasts - skinless and boneless
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- salt & pepper
- 50 g butter
- 2 thin slices smoked ham
- 25 g freshly grated parmesan
- Place each chicken breast between two sheets of cling-film and using the flat end of a meat mallet or the side of a rolling pin, gently pound each fillet to about 1cm thickness.
- Put the flour onto a flat plate and season well with salt and pepper. Take each fillet and coat it in the seasoned flour, taking care to shake off any excess.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a non stick frying pan and add the chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 10-15 minutes to cook through, turning the chicken regularly to ensure a nice golden brown colour on the outside.
- Once the chicken is cooked take the pan off the heat. Fold the slices of ham and place one on top of each chicken breast. Grate the parmesan over the top of the ham and spoon the melted butter from the pan over the cheese to melt it. Serve immediately.