Chinese glazed pork belly, a simple dish to prepare as the oven does all the hard work. With flavours Hoisin and 5-spice, this dish is a family favourite.
Chinese glazed pork belly is a really simple dish to prepare, more of an assembly job really. The thing is quick dinners don’t take hours of preparation, nor do they need to be boring and repetitive. This dish works on days when you’re busy occupied elsewhere. You need to marinade the pork for at least 3 hours, but ideally overnight. However if time is in short supply, 3 hours work just fine.
I’m always looking for something new to try, with great flavour that the entire family will eat. After a hectic day I don’t want to be stood in a kitchen for an age to get that meal on the table. This dish was perfect after a cold day spent in the garden getting my vegetable beds ready for the spring season. The marinade is easily thrown together, the meat quickly prepped and left to marinate before cooking. Once ready to cook it’s a simple case of popping the joint into a low oven for a few hours. The oven does all the hard work. I served it simply with some steamed rice and our recipe for Simple Stir-fried Pak Choi. I then topped mine with a healthy squeeze of hot sauce!
Additional recipe suggestions:
Looking for inspiration for feeding the family mid week, then take a look at our Ultimate Guide to Family Dinners. Full of useful hints, tips and recipes.
Chinese Glazed Pork Belly
- 1 kg pork belly - bone in
- 2 tsp Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1 cm piece root ginger - grated
- 2 cloves garlic - grated or crushed
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red finger chilli - split in half, seeds left in
- Using a sharp knife, score deeply the fat side of the pork with a criss cross pattern to allow the marinade to penetrate to the meat.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl or large sealable bag. Add the pork belly until coated and leave to marinate overnight in the fridge or for at least 2-3 hours if pressed for time.
- Place the pork in a roasting tray and cover loosely with a tin foil lid. Roast in the oven for approximately 4 hours at a low heat of 140CFan or until the meat is tender enough to fall apart. Serve with your choice of rice or noodles.