Leftover turkey pie is made using up leftover turkey, ham and any vegetables following the Christmas roast. Perfect to feed a crowd on Boxing Day.
Leftover turkey pie is exactly as the name suggests, a pie made using up the Christmas day leftovers. Michelle and I love using up leftovers and are happy to share a recipe. Christmas is a time when we are all prone to buying too much food. Now I would love to give advice on how to spend sensibly on food over the festive period. However fear if I did, all those who know me would fall down laughing. Regardless how many lists I write there is always much spent on food at Christmas! However I’m ok with that provided all the food is eaten! I hate waste.
I always do a roast joint for Christmas, this year turkey. Despite counting vegetable portions into my pans, I always think there’s never enough so add a few more. I can admit to this as I know I am not alone in my quest to overfeed everyone! Needless to say I’ve always lots of leftovers (with the notable exception of roast potatoes which always get devoured in our house).
I love to serve a leftover turkey pie on boxing day and guests have given many compliments over the years. It’s simple, delicious and the perfect way to use up leftovers. I always plan it for boxing day as it requires very little preparation. Exactly what you need after the mammoth task of Christmas lunch. I’ve given a recipe here, but it changes every time I make it (it also comes in handy for a Monday night tea after a Sunday roast). So feel free to experiment and use any leftovers you have to hand. Add ham if you have it, it works great with chicken. I like to serve this with leftover stuffings and most likely another fresh made batch of roast potatoes, it is Christmas after all!
Leftover Turkey Pie
- 100 g butter
- 1 leek (finely sliced)
- 400 g roast turkey
- 400 g leftover vegetables (parsnip, carrots, brussel sprouts)
- 300 ml leftover gravy
- 300 g tub of creme fraiche
- 1 packet ready made puff pastry
- 1 beaten egg
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and gently saute the leek for 5 minutes to soften it, taking care not to colour.
- Cut up all your leftover turkey and vegetables into bite sized pieces, place in a large bowl and mix together with the sauted leek, gravy and creme fraiche. [How much gravy and creme fraiche you use will depend on the amount of leftover meat and vegetables you have.]
- Spoon into an oven-proof dish and cover with a layer of puff pastry. Pierce the pastry lid a couple of times and brush with beaten egg.
- Place in an oven at 180Fan for 40 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided below is approximate and meant as a guideline only •