Grilled halloumi & vegetable salad with a fresh herb and yogurt dressing. A great Vegetarian lunch dish, perfect for warm Summer days.
Grilled halloumi and vegetable salad, a Vegetarian lunch dish, but one that can also serve as a side dish too. Roasting the halloumi cheese and the vegetables in a char-grill pan adds a lovely smokiness to the dish. The halloumi and vegetables are stacked then fresh yogurt and herb dressing is added to liven the dish up.
Very often recipes spin around in my head for weeks before they actually come to anything. I taste something I like and it triggers my imagination … this was one such occasion. I was vegetarian for many years before I went back to eating meat again. Its the years spent as a vegetarian that resulted in my ability to spice and flavour food. Michelle and I eat lunch together a lot and we enjoy the lightness that comes with a vegetarian lunch.
I first ate a dish very similar to this in Singapore many years ago. I remember the vibrant yellow squash that I’d never seen before. Nowadays of course we grow these courgettes in pots in our own gardens. For the stack itself I’d recommend that you use the vegetables that you like to eat, mixing it up by using a variety of different colours (we used purple and white aubergine, yellow and green courgettes, yellow and red peppers and a red onion).
Grilled Vegetables with Halloumi & Herb Dressing
- 1 sweet pepper (sliced)
- 1 courgette (sliced)
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 1 aubergine (sliced)
- 250 g halloumi cheese (sliced)
- 2 large vine tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/2 pomegranate (seeds only)
- 100 g pistachio nuts (shelled)
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley
- juice of half a lemon
- salt & pepper
- Place a grill pan on the hob over a medium/high heat.
- Once the pan has warmed up place the peppers on skin side down. Allow the skin on the peppers to blacken and once this has happened place the peppers in a plastic bag and seal. Set aside for 10 minutes allowing the peppers to sweat as this makes the skins slide straight off. Rinse in cold water and pat dry with some kitchen paper.
- Continue to char-grill the vegetables: aubergine, sliced onion, courgette, tomato and finish with the Halloumi cheese.
- Place the fresh coriander, mint and parsley in a food processor along with the lemon juice and blitz together. Season to taste with salt and pepper and spoon in the yogurt. Give it one final blitz to blend all the ingredients together. Pop in the fridge until ready to use.
- To assemble, arrange the grilled vegetables and halloumi cheese onto a plate, along with the sliced fresh tomato. Alternate the vegetables and allow them to overlap and little.
- Drizzle over the dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and pistachio nuts. Serve immediately.
• Please note that the nutrition information provided above is approximate and meant as a guideline only •Share on Facebook